Siem Reap: More Than Just Amazing Temples

By Unknown - 2:04:00 AM

I have always included Cambodia in my Must See Places. Although most people would ask why I wanted to visit Cambodia and my answer will always be "Why not"? I am inlove with Angkor Wat and I am amazed how the Temples in Siem Reap has been built in modern times.

Regular fare from Manila to Siem Reap via Cebu Pacific is around Php10K but I got a Piso Fare promo for Php4,620 round-trip ticket.

I decided to go on tour on my own. I booked a hotel online for 3 nights. Since I didn't know anyone who wanted to go or have been to Cambodia, I relied on blog reviews in choosing my hotel accommodation. And from there, I read so many good reviews about Tanei Boutique Villa
I don't have itinerary aside from seeing Angkor Wat. Although I have been reading must see places in Cambodia as well as must try foods in Cambodia by my fellow bloggers. I decided not to rely on tour guides because I know that being on tour with other people means waiting for them and this means we relay on each one's time and I hate that. I want to wake up and do my things without having to set a particular time. All I have with me is my planner, digital camera and Iphone 5 for taking pictures.

DEPARTURE FROM MANILA-FEBRUARY 27, 2016
My flight 5J257 going to Siem Reap was February 27, 2016 at 7:45PM. At 4:30PM, I was already at NAIA Terminal 3. I was able to get my boarding pass easily but I had a hard time with the immigration. This will be my 1st out of the country travel using my new passport and I also don't want to declare that I have been to Dubai many times before (where I worked even when I was on visit Visa) because this might be a reason for them not to allow me to travel. But unfortunately, I didn't have my office ID nor my COE. The interrogation lasted for 20-30 minutes and just when I thought I already convinced the immigration officer, there was another interrogation where the same questions were asked. Luckily, they allowed me to fly to Cambodia. I am a light traveler and decided to have just 1 backpack so I no longer have to wait for my luggage at the airport.

ARRIVAL IN SIEM REAP-FEBRUARY 28, 2016
I  arrived in Siem Reap International Airport at 9:30PM (10:30PM Manila time). I was welcomed by the tuktuk driver from Tanei Guesthouse who introduced himself as Mr. Small. It was a 15 minute tuktuk ride going to my hotel. And yes, I did enjoy my first ever tuktuk ride!
They use USD in Cambodia but any amount smaller than $1 is paid using Cambodian Riel. $1 is equivalent to 3925.95 Cambodian Riel 

TANEI BOUTIQUE VILLA
Deluxe room in Tanei cost $31 per night but they gave me a 15% discount so my accommodation for 3 nights is only $79.50. This includes buffet breakfast, 1 hour traditional Thai massage, bottled water everyday, overflowing hot tea and coffee, and tutktuk service to and from the airport. And for that rate, I find it reasonable. Hotel amenities include a swimming pool with Jacuzzi, 24 hour security, cable TV, hot & cold shower, and free WiFi access. They can also arrange tours for their guest. Tanei Boutique Villa is located near tourist spots like the old market, night market, and the ever famous Pub Street. A 2-3 minute walk will take you to these exciting places. You may check Tanie for bookings.
Aside from tuktuks and motorcycles, bicycles are also one of their means of transportation in Cambodia. You may also use these bikes for free.
Sitting like a boss while having an iced cold beer by the pool area
Reception Area
And this has been my room for 3 days

DAY 1-FEBRUARY 28, 2016
After having a relaxing hot shower, I had a buffet breakfast for free. Their buffet includes rice porage, bread, fruits, rice, omelet and sausage. Orange, pineapple juice, tea and coffee are also unlimited.

My number 1 priority is to visit Angkor Wat and other places. Best time to visit Angkor Wat is before sunrise and before sunset. If you decide to go before sunset, I suggest that you purchase your ticket at least a day or the night before because ticketing office opens at 5AM and by then, so many people are already waiting in line to purchase their entrance tickets. Buying a ticket a day before will save you time as you can go directly to Ankor Wat and just wait for sunset. One day pass to the temples will cost you $20 per person, $30 for two to three days pass, and 1 week pass is $60. A full day is enough to see all these temples but if you have more time, then 2 days is fine.A tuktuk service in the temple for 1 day is around $15-$20, depending on how well you negotiate with your driver. By the way, they also car service for $35 a day and mini van (12 seater) for $42. You may also ask for a tour guides for you not to be lost and to learn more things about the temple. English tour guide cost $35 per day, French tour guide is $45 per day, Chinese tour guide is at $40 a day and Spanish and Russian tour guides are $60 per day.
This is my one day pass in the temples of Siem Reap

Since the sun is already up, I decided to visit Ankor Wat during sunset. My first stop is at is Angkor Thom where you will see so many temples like Bayon, Baphuon, Phimeanakas, Terrace of the Elephanst andTerrace of the Lepper King, 
South gate entrance to the city of Angkor Thom

BAYON TEMPLE
It was built in 1190 AD and this is a well known Buddhist temple with a mixture of Hindu cosmology. Bayon temple is filled with huge stone faces of the bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara.
That mysterious smile is known as the Monalisa of Southeast Asia

BAPHUON TEMPLE
It was built in the 11th century and is a three-tiered temple.

TA PROHM TEMPLE
Ta Prohm is the modern name of the temple Angkor and became more famous when Angelina Jolie shoot some scenes from the blockbuster movie Lara Croft: Tomb Raider.  This temple is my next favorite temple, after Angkor Wat. Ta Prohm is well known for its huge trees with massive roots that surrounds the temple.



ANGKOR WAT
Angkor Wat is the larget religious monument in the world. Aside from its huge size, this temple is also magnificent! An awe inspiring temple that proves that Khmers are genius. 




And it took 30 years to build this amazing temple
You can also get your picture taken with Angkor Wat as your background for $1
Beautiful sunset in Angkor Wat


NIGHT MARKET
Night market in Siem Reap is a must see for every tourist. Everything that you need from exotic foods, scarf, skirt, pants, mobile accessories, and souvenirs can be found in their night markets.
Ref magnets will always be my favorite souvenir. I have a huge collections of these ref magnets that I got from places that I visited and some were also given to me. 

Noodles is a popular street food in Cambodia. You can get it for $2.50 
And this is the part where most people are stuck. Some wanted to try, while others just wanted to take pictures of these exotic street foods. You can get them for $1 
Fried Baby Snake
Water Bugs
Fried Tarantula

Of all the exotic foods, I only tried the fried baby snake and it tastes like fried chicken but its more salty. 
PUB STREET
If you want to chill and release all the stress after a busy day in the city, then Pub Street is the place to be. 
After visiting the temples for 1 whole day, it's time to have a drink or two at the famous Pub Street in Siem Reap. Whatever your crowd preference is, Pub Street has always something for every visitor. You can find a quiet place perfect for coctails ans some intelligent coversation. There are also bars for those who wanted to enjoy disco music. Their are also acoustic bars for those who love live bands. 
The most famous of which and the one who started it all is Angkor What? Bar. It has been promoting irresponsible drinking since 1998. You can grab a draft beer ofr $0.50.



DAY 2 MARCH 1
FLOATING VILLAGE
Aside from the ancient temples and a colorful nightlife in Pub Street, another highlight of my visit in Siem Reap is going to their floating village via Ton Sap Lake. There are 3 villages known as The Kompong Phluk, Kompong Khleang and Chong Khneas. The later is the most famous of which. It is a home to almost 1800 families or roughly 6000 people. These people live by fishing. 
 
Aside from houses in the floating village, you will see schools, church, stores, and police station that are all movable. During rainit season, all these are moved until the water subside. 

 
 
A boat ride going to the Floating village is roughly 45 minutes. I paid $30  for the boat ride but I was the only passenger and accoring to the tour guide, it costs less if you go on groups.

This is the side of Siem Reap that depeicts the poverty in Cambodia. Hopefully they get a portion of the entrance fee so that at least they survive a day without having to skip meals.

ANGKOR BALLOON
This a the latest attraction in Siem Reap. This is a tethered balloon that goes straight up 200 meters and will give you an aeraila view of the famous Angkor What, Phnom Bakheng and the surrounding temples. A 10 minute Angkor Balloon ride will cost you $20.
 





APSARA DANCE & DINNER SHOW
Apsara dance show is a classical Khmer cultural dance show. I got my ticket from my accommodation for $9 but if you will buy it at Koulen it's sold at $12 per ticket. It also includes buffet dinner.
 




 There were a lot of choices from the buffet including rice meals, salad, pasta, pizza Japanese & Chinese foods and dessert.

This is the weirdest pizza that I've tasted. I am a cheese person but obviously it doesn't go well with bananas.


The traditional Khmer dish fish amok. Fish is coated with thick coconut milk that is either steamed or baked in a cup made from banana leaves
Dinner begins at 6PM and the live performance starts at 7:30PM. 
 


The graceful gestures of the dancers narrate myths and religious stories.

DAY 3-March 2
This is my last day in Cambodia and I am just waiting for my flight back to Manila. I decided to just walk around the city to see what's in store for tourist like me.
Here are some of Cambodian delicacies


Fried snails are sold for $1 per cup in the streets
There are also many eateries like this that serves noodles and grilled meat
Grilled skewers for $1.50 
Dr. Fish Spa for $2 for 20 minutes

Being able to explore Cambodia on my own gives me a sense of fulfillment. I will definitely go back and I will explore Cambodia's Capital, Phnom Penh and visit beautiful beaches in Sihanoukville on my next trip in Cambodia. I'm also planning to visit Thailand and Vietnam the next time I visit Cambodia.

Location:

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Pages